Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
01. As a teacher, how can I get involved with the ASEF Classroom Network?
There are lots of ways to get involved in ASEF ClassNet. Here are just a few:
– Join an Online Collaborations seeking collaborators
– Propose an Online Collaboration for other ASEF ClassNet teachers
– Apply to participate in the next ASEF ClassNet Conference
– Stay up-to-date with all the latest developments by subscribing to the quarterly Newsletter and liking the ASEFEdu Facebook page
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions
02. I am not a teacher, and want to get involved with the ASEF Classroom Network. How is this possible?
ASEF works with a variety of people and organisations across its projects, and ASEF ClassNet is no exception.
Whatever your interest in ASEF ClassNet, please contact us at email@example.com
03. What is the Asia-Europe Foundation (ASEF)?
ASEF is an intergovernmental not-for-profit organisation that:
– Advances mutual understanding and collaboration between the people of Asia and Europe through intellectual, cultural, and people-to-people exchanges;
– Acts as the civil society outreach of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM), and works as a platform for Asia-Europe dialogue to stimulate permanent networks that reinforce Asia-Europe bi-regional relations;
– Acts as an interface between civil society and ASEM governments and consequently, contributes to the ASEM process by generating unique recommendations for officials’ consideration
ASEF was established in February 1997 by the partners of the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) and remains to this day the only established institution of ASEM. Although based in Singapore, ASEF operates in all ASEM countries. ASEF is funded by contributions from ASEM partners. Most of ASEF projects are also supported financially by civil society organisations, public institutions and businesses that ASEF works with. Since its inception, ASEF has initiated projects engaging over 17,000 individuals from Asia and Europe.
ASEF activities cover the following areas:
– Sustainable Development
– Public Health
04. How can I get involved with more of ASEF’s projects?
Participation in projects carried out by ASEF is open to nationals from ASEM partner countries. Exceptions can be made, where a non-ASEM national may be critical for a project’s success. As different projects may have different requirements, please go to the relevant project web page on our website or contact the respective department for further information. All calls for applications are available on ASEF’s website.
05. What is the Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM)?
ASEM is an informal dialogue process among governments currently representing 51 Asian and European countries, plus the ASEAN Secretariat and the European Union.
It aims to forge stronger relations between Asia and Europe, based on equal partnership, mutual respect and mutual benefits. Its activities are grouped into 3 pillars:
– Political pillar,
– Economic pillar and
– Socio-cultural pillar.
The inaugural meeting of ASEM leaders was in March 1996 in Bangkok, Thailand. Since then, ASEM Summits have been held every 2 years.
06. Which are the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) partner countries?
Australia, Austria, Bangladesh, Belgium, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Cambodia, China, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Korea, the Laos PDR, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mongolia, Myanmar, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Pakistan, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, the Russian Federation, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, the United Kingdom, and Viet Nam.
Please find further information at www.aseminfoboard.org
07. I am not from an ASEM partner country, can I still engage in ASEF ClassNet activities?
We are pleased to know that citizens of non- ASEM partner countries are interested in ASEF ClassNet. However, only those either who are citizens of, or who work in, ASEM partner countries are eligible to engage in ASEF ClassNet activities.
08. Are there any age restrictions to join the ASEF ClassNet Conference?
There are no age restrictions. However, necessary documents have to be provided upon request to demonstrate that you are a secondary, vocational or high school teacher in a school of any of the 51 Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) partner countries.
09. How can I stay abreast of all the latest ASEF ClassNet updates?
ASEF ClassNet publishes a quarterly newsletter. You can subscribe to ASEF ClassNet Newsletter directly from the ASEF ClassNet website.
You can also like the ASEFEdu Facebook page to up-to-date with all the ASEF education projects, including ASEF ClassNet.
10. How is ASEF ClassNet funded and supported?
ASEF projects are generally co-organised with institutions from Asia-Europe Meeting (ASEM) partner countries. ASEF shares the cost of the event with the co-organiser(s). Grants given by ASEF to support initiatives are very limited.
Co-organisers and sponsors include:
– Government agencies
– Think tanks
– Educational institutions
– Student and youth organisations
– Cultural and heritage promotion organisations (e.g. museums, arts festivals etc)
– Trade unions and
– Other relevant civil society organisations
ASEF’s contribution to ASEF ClassNet is with the financial support of the European Union.
11. I have a question, to which I cannot find an answer. Who can I contact?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
12. Who can apply to participate in ASEF ClassNet Conferences?
A citizen of any of the 51 ASEM countries.
School based in any of the 51 ASEM countries.
A secondary, vocational or high school teacher or educator.
Proficient English skills (oral and written).
Basic knowledge of ICT, and a keen interest in expanding it.
Curious about the integration of ICT in your school.
Interested in sharing, exchanging information and best practices .
Ready to cooperate with schools in Asia and Europe in an Online Collaboration and/or to propose new collaboration ideas.